12.10.2014

ACTIVITY 9: CATALOG TIPS AND TRICKS

Beg? Sit? Roll over? Play dead?  Probably a good thing the catalog doesn't accept voice commands (yet).

First thing that jumps out at me: I was unaware of the extended display/brief display option.  I think that's a tip rather than a trick, but it's good to know about.  I also think that I've overlooked the options for "and not" and "or" in the advanced keyword search, but it's possible I've just forgotten about them.  Good thing to keep in mind for future searches.

The book bag/export saved/etc. options have not changed in years, and as a result I am familiar and comfortable with the process. 

I don't think I was aware of the preferred search option, either.  I think this would be more useful to me in a journal database, but it's good to know about, especially to recommend to patrons.  I set up an author search for the aforementioned author Jasper Fforde, since I know my partner will be happy to know when his new books are published, followed by a keyword search for "blu-ray," since I've been unexpectedly coming across that format in our collection (in addition to the Criterion dual-format editions we were informed about).

I am an obsessive user of the "popular searches" function, particularly for new CDs and DVDs.

Permanent link URLs are very handy for adding information to book clubs on our events calendar.

I would love to see a feature like I saw in the EBSCO Discovery Services demo today which collates all formats/editions of a title, I think this would be incredibly helpful for both staff and patrons.  I would also like to see the "reviews and more" feature for music and movies.

Other than that I have no strange things nor tricks of my own to submit. Sierra often seems to duplicate records in search results, but that is a different matter, perhaps best explored via the upcoming new season of Twin Peaks.

No comments: