12.20.2014

ACTIVITY 12: HISTORY DAY

Ack!  Can I get through these activities when I only have five workdays left to complete ten sections?  Wait, make that twelve sections, since I've already skipped over two.  Double ack.

Okay, here we go.  History Day!  It's about, like, history and stuff?  The terms "primary and secondary sources" get tossed about a lot, sometimes by students who don't know what those terms mean.  The theme for 2015 is "Leadership & Legacy in History."  Yes, in bold type.  The NHD website is a bit of a useless mishmash of blocks which made the location of this information somewhat less than obvious.  The MHS site requires a number of clickthroughs to get to a Word document (?) with a list of topic suggestions, some solid, some a little unusual (or, seemingly unusual to me, clearly not a history expert).

This is definitely good stuff for me to be looking over, as I didn't really know that much about History Day, having not participated in it when I went to school nor having raised any children of my own.  I am more than a little entertained to see that students can choose "performance" among other project types.  The list of History Day Help resources is incredibly helpful and does indeed make me feel better prepared to help patrons, although I will still heavily steer them toward the History Day Hullabaloo (to promote the program, not just because I want to use the word "hullabaloo" in everyday conversation as much as possible).

No comments: