12.21.2014

ACTIVITY 15: HISTORYPIN

Haven't heard of this before.  Reminds me of the Digital Public Library of America.  I tried looking up my birthplace and found nothing.  I tried both of my parents' places of birth and found the same results.  Seems like they could use more content, which means they need to attract more participants if it's going to have much value.  I tried looking up Bruges, Belgium as a potential place I'd want to visit and was disappointed by the minimal content there, as well.  One photo was a personal shot someone posted of themselves as a 4 year old.  It was taken in 1945, which is interesting, but they misspelled "Kodak" and it lacks context.  I'm sure HistoryPin/Google is trying to avoid the extra work and academic feel of DPLA, but there's definitely something to be said for curated content.  Another picture appears to be a poorly cropped picture of someone holding a photo rather than a scan.  It appears to be a shot of soldiers marching in WWI but lacks any description and is very difficult to make out.  So far HistoryPin is pretty disappointing.

No comments: