10.09.2014

ACTIVITY 5: FREEGAL

I've been an intermittent user of Freegal since we started the program. I'm hoping that using the e-mail reminder feature will get me back on track to taking advantage of it more regularly, because if there's one thing that I am hopelessly addicted to, it's music. And getting more music. And more and more. I try to spend a reasonable amount of time listening to what I already have, but it's hard to resist the allure of adding new (and old, especially old) songs to add to my collection. The fact that Sony has somehow picked up the digital rights to a bunch of small jazz labels* has been a boon for someone with my particular illness. Are the artists seeing any payment for this? I'd like to know, but I also spend plenty of money on records, so I don't feel too guilty about using the service.

I have had a patron call in about certain tracks and albums not downloading, which is apparently an occasional glitch people have encountered, but other than that it seems like most users are pretty self-sufficient about accessing it (unlike e-books).

*Ever heard of Chiaroscuro Records? Me neither.

No comments: